Life in Plastic, It's Fantastic....


 When I think of plastic many things run through my head. Mainly disgust at how reliant we are on the said topic. I have always felt I'm pretty conscious and mindful of my plastic consumption. I fish plastic I see floating in the ocean when I paddle and when I come off the water and other various sundries. (Today I retrieved a fishing pole still stuck to something at the bottom of the ocean. Mind you it was off the shore but we are talking in the middle of the channel. But that is another story for another time.)

I'm a regular listener of Rich Roll's Podcast and the last episode I listened to was "Prophets Walk Among Us." Now like I said previously I think I'm pretty mindful of my single-use plastic but as I stood in the kitchen with my grocery purchases. I realized just how much single-use plastic I really do consume. 

When I'm at the beach other surfers, beachgoers thank me for picking up trash yet they make no effort to do so themselves. They turn a blind eye. I thought if I do more and say less that would be enough. You know the old age adage, "Actions speak louder than words."  Well personally, I think it's bullshit. I can't relegate myself to doing more without saying more. My little dent in picking up trash on a beach or not buying bottled water is not near enough. I want to do more... maybe not say less because we need more people to be conscious and mindful. And let’s face it actions speak louder than words is not enough. There needs to be a balance of both.



This is Barbie... I found her sunbathing naked in the sand on the shore. (I put flower clothes on her for those that are body sensitive and sunglasses... she may have been drinking because I found her next to an empty bottle of Vodka and because she had bloodshot eyes.) I'm sure she was trying to get her daily dose of vitamin D to help and de-stress and ground down but unfortunately, she's made of plastic so it kinda defeats the purpose. I made up all kinds of scenarios about her when I found her only to be laughing like a crazy woman out loud mind you, which made me stop when someone shot me a concerned look.  The song ran through my head for days.... 

"I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic

You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere"

Well although apparently, Barbie has no issue of removing her clothes I would have to strongly disagree about the life in plastic, it's fantastic part. It's not fantastic. It's damaging to us and to our environment and with all that is happening in our world, we have the opportunity to slow down and be more mindful of our consumption of things that really don't serve us, to be better stewards of the Earth and what we've been given.

I know I’m only one person. I don’t have the coveted blue check next to my name on IG. I’m not considered an influencer and my blog only has 4 followers... I think. Lol. But I can be a difference. You can be a difference. So for 30 days, I challenge you to be mindful of your plastic intake. Start somewhere. Anywhere just start. Baby steps. Let me know how you’re doing. I’ll be letting you know how I’m doing.


I realize my IG is about reiki and healing but I believe that transfers to so many other areas in your life so it is relevant. It’s a real journey. Not just pretty pictures on Instagram. Though it helps. Lol.

Subscribe to my blog and follow me on IG - Red Elephant Reiki

I love the artwork of 
Sarah Eisenlohr. I have this urge to do just this when I go to the beach sometimes, lol.



Comments

Popular Posts