- Likes on your Facebook page
- How many friends or followers you have on Facebook
- Likes on your latest Instagram post
- Dollars in your bank account/savings account/IRA/401K
- Credit score
- The amount left on your student loans/house payments/car payments
- The number on the scale
- The number of social events you attend in a season
- The of children you have
- The number of colleges you've attended
- The letters and/or numbers after your name
- The zip code you live in
- The number of rooms/bathrooms in your house
- The number of clients you have
- Your acquisition/retention numbers
- The number of miles you run/swim/bike/paddle
- How many yoga poses you can perform
- The number of pounds you've lost/bench pressed
|Photo credit: @kenindianamerican (Instagram)|
How surely gravity's law,
strong as an ocean current,
takes hold of even the smallest thing
and pulls it toward the heart of the world.
each stone, blossom, child--
is held in place.
Only we, in our arrogance,
push out beyond what we each belong to
for some empty freedom.
If we surrendered
to earth's intelligence
we could rise up rooted, like trees.
Instead we entangle ourselves
in knots of our own making
and struggle, lonely and confused.
So, like children, we begin again
to learn from the things,
because they are in God's heart;
they have never left him.
This is what the things can teach us:
patiently to trust our heaviness.
Even a bird has to learn that before he can fly.
So if you want to fly, explore what makes you heavy and then-- FLY!